Osmanthus Flowers Blooming Everywhere in August
You may have tried a whole lot of jams before - fruit jams, vegetable seed jams, spread and chutneys. However, have you ever tried those floral jams with petals in it? As one of the most gracious plants in China, the sweet osmanthus flowers have enjoyed its reputation for ages. In ancient China, only those nobility have access to its cultivation and consumption; therefore, August in Chinese Lunar Calendar is referred to as the osmanthus month.
Making sweet osmanthus jam is simply a delightful combination of the delicate floral aroma and flavour of osmanthus flowers. Here's a recipe to get you started:
- 1 cup fresh osmanthus flowers
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional, for flavour balance)
Instructions:Gently remove the osmanthus flowers from their stems.
- In a saucepan, combine the granulated sugar and water. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, add the osmanthus flowers to the sugar syrup. Stir gently to ensure the flowers are evenly distributed.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and allow the osmanthus flowers to simmer in the sugar syrup. You want the mixture to gently bubble and infuse the osmanthus flavour into the syrup. Stir occasionally.
- If desired, add the lemon juice to the mixture. Lemon juice can help balance the sweetness and enhance the floral flavour. Stir well.
- To check if the jam is ready, you can place a small amount of the mixture on a plate and let it cool. If it thickens and sets to your liking, it's ready. If not, continue simmering and testing at intervals.
- If you prefer a smoother texture, strain the jam through a fine mesh strainer to remove the osmanthus flowers. This step is optional, as some people enjoy the visual and textural presence of the flowers in the jam.
- Carefully ladle the osmanthus jam into clean and sterilized jars. Leave a little bit of headspace at the top. Seal the jars according to proper canning practices if you plan to store the jam for an extended period.
- Allow the jam to cool completely before storing it in the refrigerator. The jam will continue to set as it cools. Once cooled, you can enjoy your homemade osmanthus jam on toast or as a topping for any desserts.
- Enjoy the goodness of your homemade osmanthus jam!
2023-08-11 by Jingzi