Ba Zhen Tang Herbal Soup Packet 八珍湯/八珍汤
Also known as the "Eight Treasures Formula", Ba Zhen Tang is one of the quintessential beauty tonics of Chinese herbal medicine. It is combined with Four Gentlemen Decoction(四君子汤) and Four Substance Decoction (四物汤) to nourish the blood from supporting Spleen and Liver.
Chinese Angelica Root (Dang Gui, 当归)
White Atrocytlodes Rhizomes (Bai Zhu, 白术)
Cooked Rehmannia (Shu Di Huang, 熟地黄)
Codonopsis Root (Dang Shen, 党参)
White Peony Root (Bai Shao, 白芍)
Poria (Fu Ling, 茯苓)
Sichuan Lovage Rhizome (Chuang Xiong, 川芎)
Honey Fried Licorice Root (Zhi Gan Cao, 炙甘草)
Total weight: 110g
THE HERBS EXPLAINED
Chinese Angelica Root (Dang Gui, 当归) - Tonifies and invigorates the Blood, moistens the Intestines and regulates the relationship between the Liver and Kidneys.
Rz. Atractylodis Macrocephalae (Bai Zhu 白术)-Tonifies the Spleen, augments Qi and dries Dampness.
Rx. Rehmanniae Preparata (Shu Di Huang 熟地黄)-Strengthens the Liver and Kidneys, and nourishes the Yin of the Blood.
Codonopsis Root (Dang Shen, 党参) - Tonifies Qi and strengthens the Spleen and Stomach.
Rx. Paeoniae Alba (Bai Shao 白芍)- Tonifies Blood and preserves Yin.
Poria (Fu Ling 茯苓)-Dries Dampness and strengthens the Spleen.
Rz. Chuanxiong (Chuan Xiong 川芎)- Invigorates the Blood, activates Qi, releases constraint and alleviates pain.
Rx. Glycyrrhizae Preparata (Zhi Gan Cao 炙甘草) -Augments Qi, ,warms and strengthens the Middle Jiao and moderates and harmonizes the harsh properties of other herbs.
Drink as a tea:
- Rinse herbs with cool water.
- Soak herbs for 20-30 minutes. You will use the same water to cook, do not throw out.
- Transfer herbs and the same water from soaking into a stainless steel, ceramic, or clay pot
- Add water 2-3 cm above herbs. When water boils, lower to gentle heat and cook for another 30-45 minutes. Stir 2-3 times during decocting.
- Strain the herbs when ready. You can store any additional herbal tea in a glass container, and place in fridge for later use.
- Drink up, and let the healing begin.
Making Chicken Soup:
- 1 whole chicken (silkie chicken is recommended as it is more nourishing, but a regular chicken will suffice if you cannot find)
- Water sufficient to submerge the whole chicken and herbs
- 1/4 c Shaoxing Wine (for digestion, helps the blood run faster)
- 5 inches Ginger (sliced)
Optional ingredients for flavour
- 9 Shitake Mushrooms
- 8 Dried Scallops (fingernail size)
- 3-4 figs
- 1-2 carrots
Vegan/vegetarian substitute shitake mushrooms for chicken
1. Gently rinse the herbs.
2. Parboil the chicken for 5 minutes and discard the water. Rinse the chicken to clean off any lingering scum. This is to ensure your soup is clear.
3. Add the meat/mushrooms, wine, ginger, the entire herb packet, and any additional ingredients (if using) into enough water to cover the whole chicken and other ingredients, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour covered. You may need to occasionally skim off the scum, but parboiling the meat should prevent this.
4. Add the Goji Berries and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Season with salt to taste, and enjoy hot or warm!
Each batch of this soup is 4 servings, and can be consumed 1-2 times over a number of days.
Always drink warm or hot!
Consult your TCM practitioner if pregnant or breastfeeding. Keep out of reach of children. This product is not intended to replace your practitioner. It is intended for general well-being and does not involve the diagnosing, prognosticating, or prescribing of medicine for any disease.
Sugar, Caffeine, Artificial Flavours, Food Colouring, or Preservatives